Friday, December 12, 2008

Stand up. Oh I don't mean stand up comedy.

Some of my favorite date stories just happen to involve me getting stood up!

This one happened way back in 2001. I honestly don't remember a lot of it because let's face it, my memory barely spans back a few hours let alone 7 years.

I met "Bart" through a friend of mine. Apparently after I left he told my friend he thought I was cute. We started talking online thanks to our mutual friend and one night we decided we were going out.

Back then I didn't have a car at school and I had to take public transportation into the city. Bart was from New Jersey and also didn't drive (niceeeee). The plan was I take the train to the city, he picks me up (his friend was driving him) and we go to a hardcore show (romantic I know). Did I mention Bart doesn't have a cell phone? He gave me his friend's phone number (the driver) so I could call when I got there and where I was.

I take the train ride into the city. It is November at this point, not exactly a breezy summer day. There I am, 18 and standing on the corner of 11th and Market streets in Philadelphia around 6pm. I call the number.

Funny, no answer. No voicemail.
I hang up and wait a few minutes.
Then I try again. Yeah, um no answer.
It is now 6:30.
At this point I'm getting concerned. I'm cold (of course I looked cute, not warm) and it is dark out.
Hey look its 7pm.
Now I am PISSED.
At this point I call the friend's number over and over. I let it ring for about 40 rings at a time then hang up and call again.
Yeah, its 8pm. I'm still standing at 11th and Market calling the same number over and over. At this point I'm crying. I give up. It is pretty clear I have been stood up.

Luckily, my best friend had a first date that night in the city and I totally crash it. What else are friends for?

Now this is the kicker.

About 2 weeks later I go to a show in New Jersey with the friend that had introduced Bart and I. She is introducing me to all her friends and every single person says the same thing.

"OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!! YOU'RE THAT GIRL BART LEFT IN CENTER CITY!"

After hearing this about 5 times, I feel like a mini celebrity. I guess I was his bragging right?

It was at this point that Bart comes to the show.

I proceed to say HEY ASSHOLE WAY TO LEAVE ME AT A TRAIN STATION. Like the crazy girl I am I do my best to yell at him and make him feel bad, but not to completely unleash my full on crazy.

He felt bad. I kicked him in the shin. He keels over. Then I said fine I forgive you, but we are never going out.

This was the first time I had gotten stood up. If only I knew it would happen, oh about 5 more times, I probably would have handled it better.

1 comment: