Thursday, December 11, 2008

He made what?

I have a knack for finding guys with weird occupations.
This one is a guy who just happened to make fishing poles at a fishing pole factory for a living. I really wish that I was kidding...

From about the time I was 18 until about 23, I'll admit it. I was a total drunk. I was in college (and then a year or two out) and I really loved drinking, dancing, and making out with random dudes. You will notice a theme of: drunk, weird jobs, jobless period, and losers.


One night I was at one of my favorite bars, three sheets to the wind.
That night I made out with two guys (my class is incomprehensible I know).
Guy #1- the guy who fell over a bike. He was hot, but knew that. My friends told me the next morning he was so drunk he fell over a bike.
Guy #2- yellow shirt guy. He was wearing a yellow shirt and wasn't as hot, but was very nice.

The next morning I see I have a new phone number in my cell phone. I knew it had to be guy #1 or 2. Which? Who knows.
A day or two later I have a few drinks and decide to text mystery man. I apparently say "where are you". I don't get a reply till the next day saying "I am here". I panic, assuming I made a date when I was drunk. I call mystery guy and we set up a date for the following day.

I meet up with Andy*. It took me a subway ride to a kinda bad part of the city. I see him standing on the platform. It was yellow shirt guy, not bike guy. Which was ok, bike guy would have probably been a bigger asshole anyway.

We walk to a cafe only to find it closed. At this point I can see he is panicking, it is kinda sad, I feel bad! I suggest this great bar that had 500 types of beer. We hop back on the subway and head to the bar.
We get dinner. I get potatoe pancakes and 2 beers. Andy gets this plate of meat (no really, like 4 types of sausages) and some beers. Basically the whole time it is a little awkward. He is really nice,and would make a great friend.

The bill comes. Our total is $63. I can see small beads of sweat forming on his forehead. I kindly offer to pay for my part. He instantly says OK! I only have my card, so he gives me cash. In the end I have not only paid for my meal, but over half of his.
We take the subway back, I get off at my stop and basically run.

A few days later he calls me to see if I was interested in getting together to trade music. As I listen to the voicemail I just laugh uncontrollably. He was so clueless and nice. I never called him back.

Oh Andy, I hope you are doing well in these tough economic times. After all, I'm not too sure how many people are buying fishing rods.

*Andy's real name isn't Andy. Since I am changing everyone's names I figured I should name them in alphbetical order. The alphabet starts with A so Andy it is

1 comment: