Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I really learned the meaning of that phrase when I met Dwight*(can you tell I'm watching the office?). I met Dwight and had a fabulous first date. It lasted 7 hours and I didn't stop laughing or smiling the entire time. Plus before the date ended we had already planned our next date for 2 days later.

I should have known it was too good to be true. First mistake, I had forgotten my phone at home that day. He was supposed to pick me up from work so I wrote him an email saying to call me at work and gave him my work number. I got ready at work and patiently sat. I knew he had read the email. I waited and waited.
Finally, when he was a solid 30 minutes late I find the email with his phone number and call him. Turns out he is stuck at work late, and he had left me a voicemail on my cellphone. He said he should be out of work by like 7 or 8, so we would meet up then. I go home a little upset but still excited. I go home and then continue to wait there. It is almost 9 so I call him again, he was just leaving now. Great, thanks for the heads up. He would call me when he was close to the city and pick a place to meet.
Tick tock tick tock.
Before I know it, it is 11pm. I call him and leave him a voicemail saying basically don't bother I'm going to bed. Afterall, I had a flight to catch at 6am the next day. Nice.
I get a message the next day saying he had gone home, sat down, and fell asleep. Lovely. I give him the benefit of the doubt, afterall I should have just rescheduled when he knew he had to work late the FIRST time.
I get back from vacation and we go on a second date. It again, was great, and this time we had our first kiss. Of course I am all sorts of giddy.
We make plans for a few days later. He bails due to some reason that escapes me now. Reschedule for a week later. He was going out of town but knew he would be back by our next date. The day of the date rolls around and I hadn't heard from him for a while.
I text him asking what the deal for that night was, and he then informs me he was still away on business and would be flying back in a few hours. He would call me when he got in to hang out. I said fine, I'm going to dinner with friends (lie) and we can meet up when you get back.

That was the last I ever heard from him. I obviously gave him way too many chances, but it was only because I really thought it could be something.

As I said in the beginning of this story- now I really understand this saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment